All About Italy
We learned about Italy this month! The kids loved exploring the country on google maps, especially Roma. Here is the lesson plan we followed if you need some Italian inspiration for your homeschool unit.
Italy Learning Plan
- Google Maps Exploration
- Italy Information and Coloring Sheets
- Italy Library Books
- Videos and Infographics of Italian Artists: Da Vinci and Michelangelo
- Michelangelo - Sculpting Hands
- Da Vinci - Mirror Writing
- Dancing Spaghetti Experiment
- Measuring Spaghetti (Inches and Centimeters)
- Counting to 10 in Italian
- Roman Numerals
- Baking Pizza
Google maps exploration: The kids had so much fun looking up landmarks, exploring cities, and using the walking feature to explore Italy. We spent a lot of time exploring Rome and Venice.
Library books and handouts. Below is a copy of a Crayola handout, you can also find so many handouts for all units on teacherspayteachers.com. Our favorite book we found at the library was: Follow Me around Italy, by Wiley Blevins.
We watched videos and read about Leonardo Da Vinci and Michelangelo. Here is a good mini bio about Da Vinci. We created hand sculpture with air dry clay (the kiddos did an amazing job).
We also used old paper to write backwards in mirror writing styles of Leonardo Da Vinci. The littles really like revealing their messages in the mirror!
We did the dancing spaghetti experiment.
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 cups water
- dry spaghetti noodles
- 1/2 white vinegar
First we made a hypothesis about weather we can make the spaghetti dance.
We mixed the baking soda and water in a jar, added small pieces of pasta, then added the vinegar, and recorded our results. Below find a blank scientific worksheet...
1. We measured pieces of spaghetti in inches and centimeters.
2. We practiced counting to 10 in Italian.
3. We learned about Roman Numerals.
Cooking an Italian Dish: We made veggie pizza, of course!
HAVE FUN AND KEEP LEARNING!
Post a Comment